Author Topic: Request on Layout -- MIND THE CUL-DE-SAC!  (Read 11050 times)

Greywolf

Request on Layout -- MIND THE CUL-DE-SAC!
« on: July 09, 2012, 10:58:19 pm »
Hey, folks, I know that the lay of the land materialises at *literally* THE LAST MINUTE -- and I'll be there on Friday this year from midday onward to help facilitate setup -- but can we avoid the multi-branch cul-de-sac this year?  It makes it REALLY hard to get from point A to point B and/or back again, and it exacerbates the claustrophobia factor, especially for those susceptible.  A lot of good games ended up in the oubliets, and the flow through the place was really awful.  I'd like to at least try to help so that I'm not just being an armchair quarterback, but if there are some guys with good layout skills, your input would be really helpful.

I think putting the doors in the center of the arena and gathering the vendors around them probably didn't help this.

I also realise that layout from year to year is a LOT of trial and error.

...so yeah, just sharing thoughts and not meaning to be hypercritical.

Offline Mark Birsching

• Extreme Team
  • Insert Coin
Re: Request on Layout -- MIND THE CUL-DE-SAC!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 10:11:45 am »
We try to do what we can - on paper, only one dead-end.  They are not all bad and it gives the show some character!

You haven't tried to negotiate the cube maze at a lot of workplaces - that's harder than what we had!! :)

Mark

Offline sgtbilkothe3rd

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 10:57:07 am »
Just my 2 cents on this topic:

I've attended the show every year 2005. And last year was the first time that I could not keep track of where certain games were, or where a certain "cul-de-sac" was located, and I felt like I spent an inordinate amount of time walking and searching instead of enjoying the games I was attempting to re-locate. The layout last year really seemed a bit different from years prior, and in my experience, not in a good way.

Still I enjoy the show immensely and really appreciate all the obvious hard work and effort by the show team and volunteers, see you Saturday!

Greywolf

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 10:55:27 am »
Hi, Mark,

Okay, I should clarify:

When the Cul-de-Sac is one of several off a path that is in and of itself a Cul-de-Sac, and it meanders like a mutated Saguaro Cactus, it's just too hard to get around.  A single cul-de sac, or a ROW of them is fine, but when there are very few thru-ways, it's very very very hard to get from point A to point B.

Offline GoddTodd

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 02:47:49 pm »
Thank you for taking the cul de sac issue. into concideration.
Also, I was wondering if you guys took into concideration the lighting this year.
Last year the lights seemed to be way darker than in prior years which made it a lot harder to apreciate a lot of the playfield and cabnet art.