Author Topic: Typical quantity of games at show  (Read 29368 times)

Offline POZEST

• POZEST.COM
Typical quantity of games at show
« on: April 22, 2007, 08:53:31 am »
I came across this website today...

I'm a late 70s/80s arcade kid.  While I don't have a personal arcade at home, this type of show might be my best bet to getting to play a few of the old games I used to play as a kid.

Looking back 2 or 3 years, could anyone give me a ball park figure as to how many video games have been at the show?

I saw the list for 2007(I realize its not complete) on the news page; seems like a small list, and none of the games I was hoping to see were there :(

I'm not a video game collector(I only rent a room, otherwise I'd love to build a basement arcade).

Thanks.

Offline Tom Bombaci

• Extreme Team
Re: Typical quantity of games at show
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2007, 09:27:55 am »
Pozest,

The gamelist on the site is organic. Right around showtime, the list usually represents about 95% of the games that actually show up.

For the past three years, we have had an average of 400 vids and pins. What games are you hoping to see at the show?

-Tom & the Extreme Team

Offline Ken Chaney

• Extreme Team
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2007, 10:03:51 am »
The show really is your best bet to be able to play vintage arcade games in public.  The last several years have featured over 400 games each year.  I don't know of any other place with that many arcade games spanning the years available for play.

As far as what kinds of games show up, a few games from before WWII show up, and there are occasionally world premier new games.  Of course there are a lot from the years in between, with a pretty hefty concentration in the "golden years" of video games (early 80's).  Pinballs make up a bit less than half of the total, and video games number over 200, with a healthy smattering of "other" kinds of games (mechanical boxing, gun games, bowlers, "skill" games, etc.).

Most of the super popular games show up (Ms. Pac, Robotron, Medieval Madness, etc.) as well as a bunch of prototype and unreleased games (Marble Man, Big Bang Bar, Kingpin, etc.)  You can count on finding something new to you - I always enjoy watching people discover how fun a game they didn't know about is!  Seeing younger people discover the fun of an EM like Sing Along, an older video game like Rebound, or an oddity like Ringer really makes the show a success to me.  It's also great to see an older "strictly pinball" type enjoying a newer video game like Rush 2049 TE or Point Blank.  The best discoveries of all have been kids and parents playing something they would never find anywhere else - and having a great time together - or watching someone who got dragged along invited by an insistent spouse or friend finding out about Cosmo Gang, Warlords, or Prop Cycle.  I think people mostly come for nostalgia and friendship, but discovering something they would not otherwise see is a great bonus.  Even a serious gamer may stumble across a game they overlooked in the past and add a title like Mad Planets or Pooyan to their personal wanted list.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 10:10:48 am by Ken Chaney »

jkoolpe

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 08:21:12 am »
Just to add to what my fellow staffers have already said...

The gamelist for 2007 is just in its infancy right now.  It will grow quite nicely over the next couple of months.  And what you see there will only be a part of what actually shows up...

As has been said and in previous years, we have had about 400 games show up!  We'll have plenty of the popular titles (such as Tempest, Joust, Asteroids, Defender, etc.) along with more than a few of the not-so-common titles you probably remember (such as Sinistar, Zookeeper, Journey, Wizard of Wor).  And we also have a lot of really cool but very rare titles like Inferno, Joust 2 (sequel to Joust), Quantum, and I, Robot.

I hope you can join us for the fun...truly, if you're looking to play the classics from the 70's and early 80's, I think you will not be disappointed :grin:

Jon

jkoolpe

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2007, 07:47:29 am »
POZEST,

Let us know which games you are looking to see...I know a lot of folks who will be bringing games for sure, but they simply have not committed as to which games they will be bringing. 

If I know which games you want to see again, I may be able to "influence" these folks to bring 'em  :)

Jon

Offline Asleep at the Bar

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2007, 10:17:17 am »
Does anyone bring "Punchout"?

jkoolpe

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 04:03:58 pm »
Punchouts have been at the show in the past...I think we had one a couple of years back...the 2 monitor deal is of course a little more difficult to bring   :)

All I can say is that you never know what may show up...the gamelist on the website has never covered everything simply because some folks just show up with games in hand (so to speak)...

Just come down for the fun...Punchout or not, you'll most likely have a great time!

Jon

Offline GregGagne

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2007, 04:18:01 pm »
I would most like to see Escape From the Planet of the Robot Monsters. I'd also like to see Discs of Tron, Q*bert, Q* bert Qubes, Tempest Tubes, Pengo, and if jesus like me, Naughty Boy. I would play them with my body.

jkoolpe

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2007, 07:21:19 am »
Welcome to the forum Greg!

From your list, we already have some pretty firm committments for a few...Discs of Tron, Qbert, and Tempest Tubes.  I'm also pretty sure that the Qbert that should be coming has a multi kit installed which means it should play Qbert's Qubes in addition to regular Qbert and the so-called FHMC (Faster, Harder, More Challenging) Qbert.  ;D

And it is certainly very possible that others from your wish list may show up...I know we've had a Naughty Boy there in the past so if the owner is in attendance again this year, it may well be there again.

Keep your eyes on the show's gamelist, and always remember that what you see on that list is only part of what will be there.

Hope to see you there in August!

Jon and the Extreme Team

Offline Asleep at the Bar

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 10:07:15 am »
Has anyone ever brought Gorf in?  I was in Vegas the other week and I went into Gameworks and wouldn't you know it wasn't working! >:(

jkoolpe

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2007, 11:44:25 am »
Yea, we usually have a Gorf on hand...I know we've had one the past few years for sure.

I actually just spoke with an exhibitor who says he will bring his...look for it to be added to the gamelist very soon!

Jon

Offline Warren

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 09:55:59 am »
Although I have always been very happy with the show, I'd love to see a larger variety of pinballs from year to year.  For example, I'd love to see Paragon, Space Invaders Pin, a working Joust 2-player pin, and especially "Heat Wave".  Also more 70's era pins along the lines of Evil Kineval, and Captain Fantastic.  On the video side, I'd like to see Omega race.

In any case, I am always impressed with how well the games are restored and there is always plenty to keep me occupied.  Thanks!

Offline DanAmrich

• NBA Hangtime - AMRICH 2020
    • Palette-Swap Ninja
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 12:11:23 am »
Every year, there are different games than the list suggests, and I always find a few surprises -- stuff I didn't expect to see, stuff I never knew existed. I love that.  :)
"Arcade Gaming Shrine" by Palette-Swap Ninja -- shot at CAX 2010!
http://paletteswapninja.com/2010/10/08/arcade-gaming-shrine-the-video/