Author Topic: Guitar Hero tournament question  (Read 22080 times)

Offline Relsqui

Guitar Hero tournament question
« on: July 05, 2009, 10:34:04 am »
I'm really excited about the addition of the GH tournament this year, but unless I'm just not seeing it, there's one piece of information missing from the pages about it--which of the Gutar Hero games is going to be used for the competition?

This is of particular interest to me because I know the first two backwards and forwards, but when the two games went separate ways I followed the Rock Band path. So while I'm strongly considering entering, I'm a bit intimidated by the likelihood of having a game full of songs I've never played ...

Offline WompaStompa11

Re: Guitar Hero tournament question
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 12:05:20 pm »
"For the first time this year, California Extreme presents the Guitar Hero Arcade World Championship, sponsored by Raw Thrills and Betson.  The grand prize winner receives the "Ultimate Guitar Hero Package", including a Wii console, full band kit, and four Guitar Hero games (Smash Hits, World Tour, Aerosmith, Guitar Hero III).  The top 16 players will win prizes, including wireless drum and guitar kits and Guitar Hero games for all consoles."

Check the home page for more information.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 05:19:27 pm by WompaStompa11 »

Offline Relsqui

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 06:11:23 pm »
Um ... if it wasn't clear the first time, why would it be more clear when you just copy and paste it to me?

I gather that "Guitar Hero Arcade" refers to a version of the game, but that wasn't obvious from the wording, and given that (as I now google) it only came out a couple of months ago, I don't feel particularly embarrassed about that.

Hm, based on GH3 apparently. Shame, but to be expected.

Offline bkerins

• Extreme Team
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 11:26:54 pm »
Hi Relsqui,

The tournament is being held on "Guitar Hero Arcade", an upright two-player arcade cabinet.  The game's software is based primarily around Guitar Hero III.  The game's setlist can be found at

http://rbexperiment.blogspot.com/2008/12/guitar-hero-arcade-potential-setlist.html

and the five songs used in competition will be selected from that list (but not given in advance).

I too have followed the Rock Band path at home, so I'm not too familiar with many of these songs.  Fortunately the gameplay isn't much different between GH and RB...!

Good luck in the tournament!  We have now posted the full details around the tournament's rules and prize package.

- Bowen

Offline Relsqui

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 09:31:44 am »
Cool, thank you. That's very helpful.

Interesting how much overlap there is between that and the RB setlist. Not shocking, though (a classic is a classic).

Offline WompaStompa11

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 09:39:23 pm »
Um ... if it wasn't clear the first time, why would it be more clear when you just copy and paste it to me?

I gather that "Guitar Hero Arcade" refers to a version of the game, but that wasn't obvious from the wording, and given that (as I now google) it only came out a couple of months ago, I don't feel particularly embarrassed about that.

Hm, based on GH3 apparently. Shame, but to be expected.

My fault.  When I realized that the text I pasted had no useful information, I said to check the website which had newly posted information.

Offline pennyman

• COIN-OP TV
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009, 03:21:54 am »
havent played the GH arcade version - hope I can get a test before I decide if I'm worthy enuff for the tourny!
COIN-OP TV
host/producer
www.coin-op.tv

Offline bkerins

• Extreme Team
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009, 12:26:17 pm »
Hi Rob, it should play very similar to Guitar Hero 3, or so they say.  The games do take some calibration to get right, but we'll have some people there to make sure that happens before it all starts.

What, you don't already have a Wii? ;)  See you this weekend!!
- Bowen

Offline DanAmrich

• NBA Hangtime - AMRICH 2020
    • Palette-Swap Ninja
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 07:52:20 am »
GHA is based on GHIII; I played Cliffs of Dover when I spotted it in the wild. Unfortunately, it cost a buck and there was no second try -- I was simply out a buck when I failed on Expert. (So I won't be competing! LOL)

The guitar is based on the GHWT guitar (not the GHIII Les Paul), but it's heavier and sturdier. It will feel familiar but slightly bigger/different if you're used to GHWT.

If you want to scope it out ahead of time, there's a GHA machine on location at the movie theater at Tanforan Mall in San Bruno.
"Arcade Gaming Shrine" by Palette-Swap Ninja -- shot at CAX 2010!
http://paletteswapninja.com/2010/10/08/arcade-gaming-shrine-the-video/

Offline bkerins

• Extreme Team
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 12:52:51 pm »
Cliffs of Dover is very hard! We will allow players to choose any difficulty level on a song, bearing in mind that more points can be earned on higher difficulties.

So, you might do better than you think!