Author Topic: Volunteers  (Read 11580 times)

Offline Jules

Volunteers
« on: February 16, 2009, 11:11:58 pm »
Hello, We are hosting our 2nd year pinball show in Seattle, and I was wondering if you could share the guidelines you use for how many hours people have to work to be comped for the weekend, and if you have a breakdown of less hours worked, for a reduced rate.  We were thinking a comp for 8 hours, but I'm not sure if that is enough, or just right.  Thanks, Julie in Seattle. If you need to reply privately, my email is nwpinandgameshow@earthlink.net

Offline Ken Chaney

• Extreme Team
Re: Volunteers
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 12:03:58 pm »
The "requirement" has been pretty much moot, as we have found most of the people who are willing to volunteer will put in more hours than we have required.  They see the core organizers going for weeks without sleep (hyperbole) and putting in many hundreds of hours per year (true), and want to pitch in and do their part to try and keep us from quitting!!!  We even have a lot of folks who pay to come, and still volunteer time.  (They have figured out that we don't run at a profit, and again don't want the show to stop.)  It is always heartening to see paid attendees stick around after the show to help get staff games back on trucks, or show up early to help set up, clean, fix, or whatever needs to be done.  I have met some extraordinary people while doing my zombie version of breaking down games.  They want to help, and we're thrilled to have a willing pair of hands and a back that still functions offered!  I'm always happy when someone hands me a sandwich in the middle of a setting up frenzy :)

We have a philosophy that nobody should miss the show because of lack of money, so we offer the lower end volunteer option.  I think the requirement is something like two hours to get admission for the day.  There are a few people who take that offer, but many, many more who pitch in beyond the minimum.

Offline Jules

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 08:36:01 pm »
Ken, Thanks for your post.  I did hear back from Mark about the 2 hrs per day for a weekend pass.  It is good to hear that even folks who are paying still will volunteer time.  Last year every volunteer at our show did pay the admission.  We just didn't know what to expect for attendance. You are right that there are the core group that do spend hundreds of hours on the details before the show even starts.  I was really blown away by how much work it is to put on these shows, and have a much greater respect for the volunteers when I attend the different shows.  This year, I'm hoping for a lunch break. :o  Thanks.  Julie

vectrexer

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 08:19:28 pm »
Do you have a volunteers list yet?

Offline Ken Chaney

• Extreme Team
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 11:32:13 pm »
We have been taking volunteers, there are still spots left, just send us a note at info@caextreme.org if interested!