Author Topic: So how's the hotel?  (Read 26338 times)

Offline Mr. Do

• Arcade Artwork
    • Mr. Do'!s Arcade
So how's the hotel?
« on: April 24, 2007, 04:15:19 pm »
All five of us are going up this year.  The 15-yr old and I will be playing games, etc. for two days straight, while my wife and the other two will be at the amusement park and shopping  ;D

Nice place?  The kids always like swimming at the hotel pool  ;)

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games. 

http://www.mameworld.net/mrdo

Offline Tom Bombaci

• Extreme Team
Re: So how's the hotel?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 04:21:42 pm »
I haven't stayed in the Crowne Plaza (I live about 8 blocks from the show site). If the rest of the hotel is as nice as the meeting rooms we use, then I am sure the hotel is top notch. Have you been to San Jose before?

-Tom

Offline Mr. Do

• Arcade Artwork
    • Mr. Do'!s Arcade
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 02:49:51 pm »
Have you been to San Jose before?

-Tom

Yup.  I went to CAEX for my first time 3 years ago...been itching to go again since, but something has come up every year.  Last year, it was because it was pushed up to July, which coincided with my wife's birthday.

"Honey...can we postpone your birthday dinner 'til next weekend?  I want to go up north for two days again and play games."

I tried that jokingly; it didn't go over too well  ;D

Then again two years ago for vacation, we spent the week in Northern California, starting in San Francisco.  Working our way down, we took the obligatory Winchester house tour and stopped off at Great America for a day.  I also pass through every so often when work takes me out that way.

I love going up there, 'cause I can breathe better  ;)

Any recommendations for a good restaurant for Friday night?

Offline 3xChaos

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 04:24:50 pm »
I could possibly give a few dinner recommendations but it would depend on your budget and what types of food you enjoy.  Also since you're staying at the hotel, I imagine you would want somewhere within walking distances, correct?  Let me know what you're looking for and I'm sure I can think of a few options that you and your family will enjoy. 

Michael 

Offline Mr. Do

• Arcade Artwork
    • Mr. Do'!s Arcade
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 08:13:22 pm »
I could possibly give a few dinner recommendations but it would depend on your budget and what types of food you enjoy.  Also since you're staying at the hotel, I imagine you would want somewhere within walking distances, correct?  Let me know what you're looking for and I'm sure I can think of a few options that you and your family will enjoy. 

Michael 

Steak, ribs, Mexican, Italian...any of those will do  ;D  Mid-price budget (~$20-25/person)

Offline zfcamaro

• ZFCAMARO
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 08:17:24 pm »
I'd like to go to a nice steak place myself..... Something like Ruth's Cris
26 games - EDOT,Journey,Mini Robotron

Check it out at: WWW.ZFCAMARO.COM

jkoolpe

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2007, 08:02:43 am »
Hey, each year that the show has been in August (including this year) has been right around my wife's B-day and she's cool with it  :) .

Of course, she knew what she was getting into when she married me...I pay my dues by going to an occasional quilt show with her ;) ...

Jon

Offline Asleep at the Bar

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 10:08:17 am »
There's a good bar/pub not to far from there called the Britannia...good times...

Offline Relsqui

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 02:23:00 am »
A couple years ago, CAX had a good deal with the Hilton, which we found comfier--but the Crowne Plaza is fine, and you can't beat the convenience of walking out the back of the hall and practically being there already. I don't recall the hotel having a pool (it's pretty small) and its website doesn't list one.

Food-wise, fiance and are big fans of Pizza Chicago, which is about a block away. (If you go out the front of the hall, across the street, and through the courtyard on that block, it's right in front of you.) Try the John Dillinger, assuming nobody has any conflicting allergies. We also liked a Japanese restaurant called Rokko which is over in the direction of the art museum.

jkoolpe

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2007, 09:27:16 am »
Just had to add (for fun):

My wife's birthday has coincided with the show when it's held in August, and she has no problem "postponing" any pomp and circumstance for the show...

So no more "it's my wife's birthday excuses! :)

Seriously, glad you can make it this year!

Jon

Offline hattg

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 08:28:30 pm »
A couple years ago, CAX had a good deal with the Hilton, which we found comfier--but the Crowne Plaza is fine, and you can't beat the convenience of walking out the back of the hall and practically being there already. I don't recall the hotel having a pool (it's pretty small) and its website doesn't list one.

Food-wise, fiance and are big fans of Pizza Chicago, which is about a block away. (If you go out the front of the hall, across the street, and through the courtyard on that block, it's right in front of you.) Try the John Dillinger, assuming nobody has any conflicting allergies. We also liked a Japanese restaurant called Rokko which is over in the direction of the art museum.

The Hilton does have the same price room ($90) as the Crowne Plaza, you just need to call the hotel directly and ask them about it. I registered several months ago. And they do have a pool and are across the street from the center.